Monday, October 20, 2008

Before and After

I think I was walking into the living room from our bedroom when I heard the car pull up. Somehow, I knew what was coming and instead of continuing straight, I veered right, into the kitchen. I recall trying desperately to think of something to do, anything to avoid the inevitable, so I opened the fridge and took out a bottle of water about the time my husband said “ Officer Burgess is here”. I calmly opened the bottle, briefly thinking that I looked awful and was going to have to get out of my robe and put some clothes on before the calls started. Then I tilted the bottle to my lips and drank. If I think about it I can still feel the coolness of the water slipping past my tongue, the momentary urge to throw up instead of swallow... The sheer agony of my stomach clenching against it’s invasion. More than anything though, I just wanted that drink to never end.

Our eyes met through the front window and his averted first. There was no smile, no acknowledgement, only that fleeting connection when he looked at me. I can only wonder now what he thought of my calmness; My continuation of getting a drink of water despite the fact that he and his partner were at my door. Perhaps he understood, or more likely, he was so busy steeling himself to speak to us it never entered his mind to wonder. It’s crossed my mind whether or not my response seemed cold or unloving, but at the time avoidance was my only resource, the only way to cope with an unbearable, unspeakable reality.

That’s when I knew for sure what I’d been feeling all day was true: My life as I’d known it for the last 26 years was gone, to be placed amongst all the moments of my past. That was the difinitive moment. The spot in time dividing joy and heartache, laughter and sorrow, hope and tomorrow.

I had started grieving that morning. I don’t know why or how I knew, other than a mother's heart sometimes just knows. There was a palpable difference in the very air I breathed. We'd filed the missing persons report the night before, and that day I'd left work because I couldn’t stop crying. I'd spent the day waiting to officially hear the news. Despite everyone telling me it was going to be O.K., every fiber of my being was aware that it was already too late for O.K. to even be an option.

Two days of his phone turned off, no word….. This time he didn’t want to be talked out of it.

My son was dead.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At November 30, 2008 9:47 PM , Blogger Kelly said...

Hi. I just found your blog, and your words really touch me. My father died by suicide just a week after Josh died. I have 2 daughters (ages 14 and 12), a son (2) and a step-daughter (12). As difficult as it has been to lose my father to suicide, I do not want to let myself imagine losing a child. But I can feel the pain that you must be going through, and my heart is breaking for you.

In the midst of all of this grief, it may sound strange to say, but your writing is beautiful, and it conveys your emotions so well. I needed to find your writing for the same reason that I needed to write myself. I have been so numb. While reading books and stories online have helped, what helps the most is to read writing that is so filled with emotion that it spills over me.

I am sorry for the pain that you are experiencing. But thank you for helping me.

Kelly

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home