Tuesday, September 07, 2010

Things NOT to do When Someone's Child Dies.

I'm angry today, so I'm posting something I probably wouldn't post otherwise. Doesn't make it any less true, but it's probably not very politically correct. For that I apologize, but if writing this down will help someone not be bombarded with well meaning, but ignorant, people then it's worth it.

Things NOT to say or do to a grieving parent.

Don't run away. Don't hide behind the justification of " I'm just not good at these things". I'm not either. I'm damn sure not good at it and never want to become good at it. Understand that the pain you feel, no matter how overwhelming, is not the same as mine.

Don't compare my grief to the loss of your mother, your father, your sister or any other person in your life, unless it was your child. This is not my first go at the grieving process. I've lost mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, friends, loved ones. It is NOT the same.

Don't tell me how he's with God, at peace, in a better place. I am grieving MY loss and I don't want MY child anywhere else besides with me in the physical realm. I truly believe he is at peace... but I am NOT.

Don't tell me "at least you have other children". My children are not interchangeable. Relationships are not replaceable one for another. Each of my children are loved and cherished, as I hope yours are. Which child would you be o.k. with losing?

Don't avoid his name. His life is precious to me and my memories are all I have. Share yours with me. Talk about him. Even if he was an ass the last time you saw him. I survived his teen years. You think I don't know he could be an ass?

Don't be afraid of upsetting me by mentioning him, his death or the word suicide. If I cry, well it's probably a WELCOME release from trying to put on a brave front in order to make YOU feel better. The tears are there whether you see them or not.

Don't tell me to call you if I need something. I'm not going to call and ask you to do my laundry,sweep my floors,wash my dishes or any of the million and one things I am no longer capable of caring about. I'm not going to call. No one ever does. If you want to help, then help.

Don't ask me if I'm better. No, I'm not better. Better than what? Better than I was before my child died? That's never going to happen. I am never going to be the same person I was and I'm certainly not ever going to be better than I was.

Don't put me in a position to have to comfort YOU. I know you loved him. I know your hurting too. I know you miss him also. But I was his MOTHER.

Don't ask me how I am unless you want to know. I am sick of coddling you and your sensibilities by saying "I'm fine". It needs to be alright to say "I'm having a bad day".

Don't wonder when I'm "going to get over it". I'm not. Ever. He was my child. He grew of me, from me, through me. He is dead. So is a part of me. Not all of me, the rest of me will learn to live, love, laugh and survive. But that part of me, the part that he filled, will never be "over it". I am getting "through" it. I don't even have the desire to "get over it".

So after reading this, if anybody wonders what they can say or do, the answer is simple. Show up and be present. Let me be wherever it is I need to be emotionally and know that whether I can express it or even realize it at the moment, I am grateful to not be alone.

Remember him. Say your so sorry for my pain and loss. Call my other children and my spouse to check on them, because I'm not always able to hold myself and them up. Be patient with me. You don't have to understand what I'm going through in order to understand you don't ever want it to be you.

4 Comments:

At September 07, 2010 7:50 PM , Blogger little warrior said...

Well said Lisa. I didn't loose my son to suicide, but I did loose my son. I decided months ago if someone asked how I was, they would get the truth; and that is rarely pretty. I am so sorry for your pain and for the loss of your beautiful Joshua.

 
At September 07, 2010 9:01 PM , Blogger Whitney said...

Lisa, you do not ever need to apologize for speaking your mind. You, and you alone, know how you are feeling and you have every right to express those feelings. I can't even begin to imagine how you must feel. I do know that my heart hurts for you and I am so sorry. I think of you often. I love you!

 
At September 07, 2010 9:26 PM , Blogger Lisa said...

Dear Marian,

Thank you for your comment. I am SO very sorry for your loss. It matters not how we lose them, for while each way carries it's own burdens, ultimately we are mothers who have lost our greatest treasures. Our futures are forever changed by their absence. My heart goes out to you and if you ever need a shoulder, consider mine yours.

My Dear, Dear Whitney,
Thank you my dear for your kindness. Please know that nothing I wrote was directed at you. I'm sorry I've been such a ghost of myself that I haven't made more effort to stay in touch or kindle our relationship. I DO love you and think of you often also. XOXOXO

 
At September 09, 2010 1:54 PM , Anonymous Stacey said...

Lisa~

Thank you for sharing this! I think that you have said what all of us feel! I totally GET what you are saying and can attest to each and every one of them. I want to say to them 'well, how do you think I feel...my baby is gone'

Thank you, and I am so sorry for your loss!

Stacey

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home